The last 12 months have again been lucky on the sports scene regional. Key events that have fuelled the current of the Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean, while the different athletes or players of the sport were to the fore. Balance sheet of the highlights of the year 2018 in the world of sports.
The Saguenéens traded…
The Saguenéens of Chicoutimi have greatly caught the attention in 2018. The year began with a major transaction involving the Titan of Acadie-Bathurst. Captain Olivier Galipeau is shipped to the acadian peninsula in a pact of which we don’t even know yet all the details. A few months later, Galipeau won the cuts of the President and the Memorial with the Titan. The head coach and general manager Yanick Jean takes advantage of the beginning of the year to sign a 400th career win in the QMJHL, only 42 years old. The season Sags shall end at the first qualifying round to face the Titan of Acadie-Bathurst and to a certain Olivier Galipeau. The Blues will have hard-sold their skin by lowering the flag into six parts.
Olivier Galipeau and the Titan eliminates the Saguenéens.
A RECORD OF THE PROGRESS, MICHEL TREMBLAY
GREAT JOYS AND GREAT SORROWS IN PYEONGCHANG
The olympic winter Games, presented to PyeongChang in the month of February, we did experience emotions shared. First, it was ecstasy in Ferland-et-Boilleau when Samuel Girard became olympic champion in the 1000 meters, winning the bronze in the relay and finishing fourth in the 500 m and 1500 m
This was, however, more complicated for Marianne St-Gelais. To his last olympic Games, the Félicinoise has not reached any final individual races, and the female relay team has been disqualified. Other regional, Kasandra Bradette and Valérie Maltais, returned to South Korea without a medal.
Finally, the first Olympic Baptiste Brochu has turned into a nightmare. In her second training run, with the rider of The Bay broke his left tibia. The crestfallen, he had to forfeit a few hours prior to the event of snowboardcross, its one of the Games.
ANTOINE DUCHESNE IN THE STATE OF GRACE
Duchesne won its first national title.
A RECORD OF THE PROGRESS, MICHEL TREMBLAY
The announcement of the canadian Championships in road cycling in Saguenay was already a big news in itself. Antoine Duchesne has entered the ball to claim the title of canadian champion in the road race, run in The Bay. The Chicoutimien won his first national title in the elite and he did it in front of parents and friends, nothing less, at the end of a sprint helter-skelter. Twenty cyclists regional participated in one or other of the tests in the program during the four days of competition, between 21 and 24 June. The Almatoise Audrey Lemieux is two in two (against-the-shows and road race) with his teammate Robbi Weldon in tandem bike. The presentation of the national Saguenay occurred after the cancellation of the Grand prix cycliste de Saguenay, due to the holding of the Summit of the G7, in La Malbaie.
The YEAR OF DEAN BERGERON
A RECORD OF THE PROGRESS, ROCKET LAVOIE
The year 2018 has been that of all the honors for Dean Bergeron. The paralympic athlete, a native of The Bay was first inducted into the hall of fame Parasport Quebec, and his hometown has decided to pay tribute to him. Dean Bergeron has been invited to sign the golden Book of the Saguenay, before we see the second ice at the Centre Jean-Claude Tremblay be appointed on his behalf at the launch of the Challenge midget AAA to The Bay. The competition included 24 teams, and the Knights of Lévis took the opportunity to spray their rivals, keeping their record perfect after 34 games, including 30 that count for the regular schedule. The tournament will be held in The Bay for the next three years.
OLIVIER RODRIGUE JOINED HIS FATHER
The draft of the national hockey League is a great time for the Rodrigue family. Olivier became the property of the Edmonton Oilers, where his father, Sylvain held the position of coach in the development of the goalkeepers. Olivier has been a choice of the Oilers in the second round, the 62nd in total.
The cerberus chicoutimien has been invited to the development camp for team Canada junior, but it has been ignored for the final camp at the beginning of the month of December. A member of the Voltigeurs of Drummondville, he finds himself with a team that aims for the top honors in the junior hockey League the Quebec major. To follow…
THE CREAM OF THE BOWLS TO DESBIENS
France won the world Championship of pétanque presented in September to Desbiens.
A RECORD OF THE PROGRESS, GIMMY DESBIENS
The news is surprising, but it is true : the municipality of Desbiens, Lac-Saint-Jean, has been the host of the world Championship of pétanque, from 13 to 16 September. The announcement was made in the company of the mayor of Desbiens, Nicolas Martel, and the vice-president of the international Federation of petanque and provencal game, Bernard Aurouze. This is the first time since 1975 that the championship was presented in quebec. Desbiens was in competition with countries such as Vietnam and Benin. It was finally France who won the tournament, an event that will draw large numbers of spectators.
THE BEST YOUNG GOLFERS IN SAGUENAY
The best golfers in the junior age in Quebec gathered at the Club de golf Chicoutimi in July, for the presentation of the provincial Championship of junior golf. For girls, Heavenly Dao was dominant, finishing the tournament at -7. His first round of 66, six strokes under par, a course record. Among the boys, Remi Chartier succeeded him also a round of 66, but this is Laurent Desmarchais, who won the tournament with a cumulative -10. A dozen golfers in the Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean qualified for the provincial championship, and four for the final round. Andréanne Laforest-Valley is a proven leader with a ninth-place finish in the girls.
THE TRAVELERS RAISE THE PASSIONS
ARCHIVES LEPROGRÈS, MICHEL TREMBLAY
For the first time since long ago, Travelers in Saguenay are division champions in major League baseball junior élite du Québec. A match-suicide won in a stadium Richard-Desmeules chock full attention has given them the division title Sun Life Financial before the Diamonds of Quebec. After having swept the Alouettes de Charlesbourg in the first round, Travelers have found their rivals in Quebec in the quarter-finals. The Diamonds have eliminated Saguenay in seven games in Jonquière, once again in a packed stadium. The Travellers in spite of everything closed a deficit of 0-3 in the series.
At the beginning of the month of June, the coach of the Voyageurs, Martin Pouliot, won the Stanley Cup as a recruiter of the Washington Capitals. It is a gift to the region bringing the big trophy in Saguenay, quebec in November. Pouliot has also signed an extension for four years with the Travelers at the end of the season.
THE REGION FEATURED AT THE GDPL
For the 10th edition of the Grand défi Pierre Lavoie, the Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean received its large share of visibility. Pierre Lavoie has decided to go to L’anse-Saint-Jean for the first step, from The Bay, June 14. The event took the form of a big reunion for the co-founder of the Grand challenge, then that he found his home village. In 1999, when the first edition of the GDPL, he had stopped at The Anse-Saint-Jean with a few cyclists. Last June, they were over 1000. After a detour in the Bas-Saguenay, the convoy climbed the route 170 and the second day of the GDPL has been marked by the tour of the Lac-Saint-Jean. The Loop has been presented in Lévis, and the tradition has continued with, in the end, the home of cycling at the olympic Stadium in Montreal.
AN ITALIAN IS THE KING OF THE LAKE SAINT-JEAN
A RECORD OF THE PROGRESS, GIMMY DESBIENS
Edoardo Stochino is the new champion of the 64th edition of the Traversée du lac Saint-Jean. He beat Xavier Desharnais in the final sprint, but this second place was like a victory for the people of Sherbrooke, for whom this was his last presence in Roberval. Champion in 2017, Argentina’s Guillermo Bertola finished sixth, but mostly chilled. The temperature of the water would not allow the wearing of the combination of heat, compared to last year. Only regional candidate, Sabryna Lavoie finished in 18th position. The marathon has been won by Gabrielle Savard. The fourth time was the good for the swimmer of Dolbeau-Mistassini.
• The quartet almatois of Émilia Gagné wrote history by winning the provincial Championship curling Scotties. The team of junior age has beaten teams with seniors during competition. The girls will go then to the Scotties Tournament of Hearts, where they are removed at the end of the preliminary round.
• The Canadian Katherine Sebov won the title in singles at the National Bank Challenger Saguenay, winning a final rousing to Quirine Lemoine. The spectators were numerous to the tennis Club inside, Saguenay d’arvida, despite the plans of the Canadian, Rebecca Marino, and the favorite Sachia Vickery.
• The Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean has completed the 53rd Final of the Jeux du Québec summer of 2018, at Thetford, with 19 medals, one gold, 13 silver and five bronze. The next final will be held in Quebec, in the winter of 2019.
• In mid-November, it was announced that Mario Tremblay will be inducted into the hall of fame League, the Quebec major junior hockey. The ceremony will take place during the Gala of the golden puck, in April.
• The #35 Eric Fichaud has been removed in the beginning of the year by the Saguenéens, and then in November a “historic mistake” has been repaired when the Sags have announced the withdrawal of the #9 Patrice Tremblay, on 29 December. Tremblay, Jonquière, has amassed 467 points in four seasons, between 1985 and 1989. It is the second-highest total in team history behind the 478 Marc Fortier.
• A page turns in the world of racing snowmobiles. After 10 editions, the organizers of the Daytona Snow have taken their reverence. The main instigators, Marc Tremblay, Manon Gobeil and their daughter, Najat, have explained their decision by a shortness of breath.
• The season 2018 has not been the best for athletes in mountain biking, but Catherine Fleury and Léandre Bouchard have even qualified for the world Championships in September. Bouchard took the opportunity to succeed in its best performance of the year, with a 26th place; and Fleury finished 42nd.
• The Fellows of the Cégep de Jonquière were crowned champions of the Bol d’or in the third division of college football, thanks to a win of 45-13 against the Indians of the College Ahuntsic, montreal, canada, in November. It was a third final in a row for the men of François Laberge and a second victory in three years.
• The boxer chicoutimien Francy Ntetu has lost his one and only fight of 2018, in October, in front of Erik Bazinyan, by stop of the referee in the sixth round. At the age of 36, Ntetu ensures that the hour of retirement had not rung.
A large, faded
First man to have completed the crossing of lac Saint-Jean, on 23 July 1955, Jacques Amyot died at 93 years old. A native of Quebec, he has marked the history of open-water swimming and he has remained an important figure in the international Crossing of lac Saint-Jean.